These spring home maintenance tips are sponsored by Hoffmann Brothers. Thank you so very much for supporting the brands that help support this blog.
If you are in Nashville like me you know spring is here by the layer of pollen on everything outside. If you are only of the lucky ones with allergies flaring up as a result it’s time to tackle those things around the house so when pollen subsides we can enjoy the outdoors.
As you all know I am the first to outsource what I don’t do well. Homeownership comes with a lot of responsibility. Since it is one of our largest investments we will make, we want to make sure we are staying on top of the basics to avoid disasters down the road.
Thankfully Hoffmann Brothers can help check off so many of the items on our list. As a Home Protection Plan member they also stay on top of these maintenance things so you don’t have to.
Spring Home Maintenance
Schedule your AC Tune Up
Summers are way too hot to chance your unit going out. As a part of the Hoffman Brothers Home Protection Plan, the air conditioner maintenance is included along with free filters, and priority service. To book your annual air conditioner maintenance appointment, or to become a member of our Home Protection Plan, call Hoffmann Brothers today at 615-515-3015.
Although some things should be left to the professionals at Hoffmann Brothers, there are plenty of maintenance duties you can do to help extend the lifespan of your AC unit and keep it running at peak efficiency! Because you know how hot these summers get.
- Changing the Filters – The most important maintenance task is to replace or clean its filters every month or two during the cooling seasons. This is why every manufacturer mandates maintenance must be performed or they have the right to void their warranty. Clogged, dirty filters reduce airflow and decrease HVAC systems’ efficiency by as much as 30%, and a clogged condenser coil will damage the unit. Since they are included with no additional cost on a Home Protection Plan, there’s no excuse!
- Outside AC Unit Maintenance – Inspect the outdoor unit monthly to make sure that nothing (like dirt, leaves, grass, and other debris) is blocking the airflow across the condenser coils, causing strain. If you see that your outdoor AC unit is becoming dirty, call the certified technicians at Hoffmann Brothers to perform more complex maintenance!
This is a nice segway right into landscaping. Time to spruce up those beds and get that increase that curb appeal. Music makes this fly by. And don’t forget to get the kids involved.
- Weed the beds.
- Add some fresh mulch: put a note in your phone as to how many bags you use each season so you come prepared and don’t have to make another trip or end up with too much.
- Fertilize grass
- Prune bushes.
- Replace any plants that didn’t make it through the winter.
- Plant some colorful flowers.
Wash off Outdoor Furniture and Spaces
We spend so much time outside so this is one of my favorite parts of spring. Getting out the pressure washer and getting everything nice and clean. Keep in mind, you will need to hose off frequently until pollen subsides but it’s worth it to take advantage of the cooler temps and sunshine.
Making Sure Your Gutters & Outdoor Drains are Clear
I don’t do heights. So this is def something we outsource. We also don’t live in an area with a lot of old trees (unfortunately) so this isn’t something we have to do as frequent as someone that does. Great way to check is on the next rain, head outside and make sure there are no blockages and rain water is running freely.
Gutters are your home’s best defense against the destructive forces of water. Nashville knows destructive water! Not only do they protect your doors, ceilings, walls and foundations from water damage, they also defend against soil erosion, basement/crawlspace flooding and the staining and decay of your fascia.
Deep Clean Appliances
Deep cleaning your kitchen appliances is not just important for a clean, fresh-smelling kitchen. It also helps to maintain them and keep them working properly longer. No one wants to hand wash dishes over the summer when all your kids are home and eating 42 times a day.
Check and Replace Batteries in Smoke Detectors
Why does it always seem the batteries only go out in the middle of the night? The one and only time I let my batteries go out by themself was when the garage unit started chirping in the middle of the night. This required an extension ladder to even reach it. Needless to say, no one slept well that night.
Now that you have the important things done, you can relax and enjoy the sun and weather.
Check out the link below for current specials to make sure you are chill all summer!
Current HVAC Specials
Have you done your spring home maintenance yet? Let me know in a comment below!
Wow!! Wonderful and fantastic home maintenance checklist! This sure has enlightened me more about this specific aspect. Thank you!