I don’t want to have to choose between being more intentional with purchases and my personal style. I want to be able to keep up with trends while purchasing less and only purchasing things I LOVE and can’t live without. Well a great way to test out if you love something is to rent it. (only when we are talking about clothes, not potential spouses). Find below an in-depth Nuuly review for your reading pleasure.
I have used several different clothing rental subscriptions in the past and just recently discovered Nuuly. So wanted to share a Nuuly review about my experience with this brand. In hopes to help you take your style to the next level while being intentional.
What is Nuuly
It’s US based women’s subscription clothing rental company started by URBN in Summer of 2019. The clothing offered on Nuuly. is not limited to just Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, and Free People though. The site also carries a wide selection of items from over 100 third-party brands.
As stated on Nuuly’s site, “Launching a clothing rental subscription service might seem like a bit of an unusual move for a company known for experiential retail concepts, but it’s right in line with our mission since 1970: encouraging customers to express themselves through their wardrobes and the spaces they keep.”
Already Own and Love These Brands
I was instantly intrigued by Nuuly after seeing the brands they carry. These are brands that I already own and love. They can be found at Free People, Urban Outfitters, and Anthropologie. Since I already shop these places, sizing is easier for me to figure out. Plus these are brands that are a little bit more my everyday style so I get more use out of them on a monthly basis.
One thing that made me sign up instantly was their vintage offerings. While I haven’t been able to snag anything yet due to availability, I love that they offer unique and one of a kind vintage pieces for rent.
I had recently purchased a Free People dress and then noticed it was on Nuuly. It got me thinking. That one dress could fund 2 months or 12 items from Nuuly. And since it was available on Nuuly, I could rent it and see if I loved it enough to purchase. Since Nuuly offers discounts to purchase on items you rent. If at the end of the month you wanted to keep it, you just got it on sale! So for $88 a month you get 6 items delivered to your door.
My order is set to arrive today and if I were to purchase each of these 6 items individually, I would pay $2,039 plus tax. But I’m instead renting them for $88 for a month.
One thing they do better than other rental companies is their lack of plastic covering each individual piece. Your lot of 6 items comes folded neatly in a more structured bag along with a neat little bag of tools. This was you are prepared to get deodorant out mid month or tape a dress so you don’t have a nip slip. Once you are ready to send back, just throw everything back in the tote (no hangers included) and return to UPS with the pre-paid label.
Things to Keep In Mind
- Shipping times really cut into your month and because you can’t exchange mid month you really need to keep in mind plans for the coming month. Vacations planned? Rent for that. Event coming up? Add that to your order.
- It is a smaller operation than some of the other companies so sizes can be hard to come by. I typically add items to “my virtual closet” then once I get notification that I can place my order, I add the available items I love to my order. There are a couple things I have wanted to order and timing just hasn’t worked out.
- They understand commitment is hard. Need to pause or cancel your account? Super easy to do. I have paused my account before to be able to switch up dates and better accommodate travel plans etc.
- If 6 items isn’t enough, they do allow you to do two add-ons a month for an additional $18 a piece.
- Since you are keeping these items for a full month, you need to be intentional with pieces. Pick a couple pieces that stretch your creativity. Pieces you love, but scared to commit to buying. Then purchase pieces you can wear over and over again. This helps make it easier to build a capsule wardrobe of items you love and can learn to style differently.
- Since it is newer, there aren’t as many reviews. Which makes choosing sizing and fit easier on other subscription sites. This will change as it grows though.
- If something arrives and doesn’t fit or you just aren’t as in love as you were online, you’re stuck with it for the month.
- It doesn’t make sense to pick a $50 sweater when you could select a $300 cashmere sweater instead. Regardless of what you choose you are paying paying $88 . So use rental services to try out those higher end pieces and keep the lower more affordable pieces for purchases you can make without getting lights turned off.
- They carry plus, petite, and maternity as well!
Ready to try? You can use this CODE to save $20 off your first month making your first month of 6 items $68. That’s the price of a single t-shirt at Free People.
Let’s get adventurous with our style this year. Renting makes this a little easier knowing you aren’t committed to these pieces forever. Also, let’s change the mindset that you can only wear an item of clothing once before hanging it in the graveyard known as your closet. Use rental services as a way to better hone into your personal style and a way to learn how to wear things differently.
Its winter here in Nashville, but I’m headed to the beach this month, hence my selections.
What did you like most about this Nuuly review? Let me know in a comment below!