Thank you, Athleta for sponsoring this post. Thoughts and opinions are, of course, my own.
Every day I am supposed to work, keep the kids alive, clean the house, do the laundry, drink lots of water, eat healthily, get in my workout, learn something new, relax, spend quality time with my husband, play taxi, walk the dog, take part in a hobby, etc. Yep, no wonder it’s so easy to fall asleep. Kidding, moms don’t sleep. The expectations we set upon ourselves are absurd. But when I cut things out, exercise, healthy food and water are always the first thing to go, all those other things become so much harder to do too. Until someone extends the day to 30 hours I needed to figure out a way to get it all in without adding stress.
I get to the gym at least 3 times a week. Not only is it good for me physically and mentally, but seeing my girls is good for the soul. The two days a week thought while B&C are both in school, I need to be able to squeeze my workout in during the workday. These are my coveted “office hours.” But I literally feel it when I skip a workout. I affects mood, waist line, energy, and brainpower not to mention I make worse food choices.
I am convinced the person that came up with work-life balance never truly worked or lived life. Since I am wanting to live life to its fullest while working on something I love so much, I had to find a way to integrate the two of them seamlessly. And I’m already swamped with laundry, so thankfully Athleta workout clothes have made it easy for me to integrate the wardrobes too. All I have to do is peel off a layer or two and I am set for a quick lunch workout.
Athleta workout clothes are made of performance fabrics and with purposefully designed details, these clothes
stretch and move with you. They make it so easy to go from your active commute to your power hour lunch then out for happy hour with friends without ever changing.
Ways I Stay Active During the Day with Athleta Workout Clothes
- Standing desk. Research shows that sweating it out regularly in the gym is not enough to offset the negative side effects of sitting at a desk for hours. Ever noticed after a long car ride or flight, how tired you are? Sitting is the culprit. I try to do as much computer work and even conference calls while standing. It keeps me more alert and awake.
- Lunges. Google I did 100 lunges in a day for 60 days and see why lunges are perfect for the office. Targeted areas include hips, butt, and thighs. Your calf muscles, abs and your back muscles act as stabilizers during this exercise. So why are you not doing them? Add in a twist towards the leg that is out front and you have yourself an oblique workout. See ya love handles!
- Wall sits. My kids and I have wall sit competitions often. I even remember doing them as a child. Why is it that the older we get, the less active we get. The things that used to be so fun are now dreaded. Lets bring back our youthful play.
- Air Squats. These are a good way to get the heart rate going as well adding muscle mass to your thighs, hamstrings, quadriceps, and glutes. Start with 10 on the top of every hour and add as they become easier.
- Calf Raises. These feel great for stretching as well as muscle building.
- Pushups. We don’t want to neglect those arms even though they are always carrying something around. Moving our bodyweight around is great for helping tone up. Feel free to start off on your knees or use the wall at an incline
- Stretch. Can’t stress the importance of getting moving and stretching. Not only is it calming but it such a great way to awaken sleepy muscles and help with posture from looking at computer or phone all day.
- Take lunch break outside. I typically wait for my kids to get home from school before grabbing lunch. So once they are home we grab something active to do and head outside. Sun and air do wonders at a mid afternoon slump.
Now if you are anything like me and you need a plan in order to be productive you can do these workouts at the top of every hour creating cycles. Pick a couple each day and start at sets of ten, working your way up. Or better yet subscribe to a super affordable and proven program like Mayhem 30 or M30, that takes the guesswork out of what to do. Less decision making for you, makes it easier to make those tough decisions later. They are 30-minute workouts made for busy people. No equipment needed! Here is an example of what I did today.
Remember my BossBody review? This would also be a great start. Personally, since finding Mayhem 30 or M30 I would choose that over BossBody. But ultimately, whatever keeps you motivated and excited will be beneficial.
Athleta Workout Clothes:
FOR: Commuting to and working at the office, and travel
FEEL: Ultra-lightweight with Primaloft® Eco insulation to provide warmth
FAVE: Longer hem length offers more coverage
- Hidden secure zip pockets hold your essentials
- STYLE TIP-Lightweight design means you can wear it as a mid-layer with heavier jackets on more frigid days
Athleta Headlands Hybrid Cargo Tight
FOR: Hiking, climbing and exploring-on the trail or off
FEEL: Stretchy Sculptek Light™ fabric in the back, with structured abrasion-resistant Trek Tech™ fabric on the front
FAVE: Six pockets keep essentials handy when hiking trails or roaming around town
- Fully adjustable NeverEnd drawstring won’t get lost in the wash
Athleta Rockland Sweater
FOR: Commuting in, days at the office, and travel
FEEL: Midweight, subtly textured fabric
FAVE: Pointelle detailing throughout the body has a flattering effect
- Mock neck is perfect for layering
Athleta’s mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy, confident women and girls who empower each other to realize their limitless potential. What a great mission to get behind. So go grab a coworker, kids, or neighbor and get them involved. I’d love to hear in the comments below what you do to stay active during the day.