I have teamed up with ZzzQuil for this post but as always, thoughts and experiences are my own.
Every night, after kids go to bed, it goes a little something like this.
Me: I am so tired. I can barely keep my eyes open.
Hubs: Why don’t you go lay down?
Me: Are you kidding me? I could never fall asleep right now.
From the outside, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. But every mother reading this knows exactly what I am talking about. When the chance arises to catch up on the silence and enjoy being by yourself to relax, your mind takes over and instantly starts screaming at you the things you have forgotten today, having pending for tomorrow, or hell a month down the road even.
And if you are anything like me, just because kids are in bed doesn’t mean you can clock out. My job requires fulltime hours but because I gave up that cush 9a-5p with a lunch break all to myself to be at home with my girls, I cram those fulltime hours into early mornings, naptimes, and after bedtime. So not only do I have to be awake but I need to be coherent.
Want to take a peek at what is going on in my head right now as I type this at 11 pm? Omg, I forgot we have Kindergarten registration and I haven’t even emailed to get shots yet. Did I submit that proposal, it was due at noon I think? I have got to clean the floors tomorrow. Crap, laundry needs to be put in the dryer before it molds again. I hope we have meat for sandwiches tomorrow. Wonder what I am going to make and bring to girls night next week.
These are the things that go through my head when I am trying to actively be intelligent. Guess what happens when I lay my head down on that much-needed pillow. Those thoughts actually multiply and get so much louder they are practically screaming.
So as I lay in bed listening to the soothing sound of my husbands undiagnosed deviated septum, I get even more anxious knowing he has a million things on his plate and yet there he is fast asleep and counting sheep. How do you men do it? I have finally started taking things into my own hands in order to get the 8 hours of sleep my eye bags need to disappear.
Sleep is such a vital part of a persons wellbeing and a lack of sleep can and will wreak havoc on your body and mind. Things like memory, mood, immunity, blood pressure, weight gain, diabetes are all at a risk of increase when your sleep is compromised so it is imperative you put a stop to restlessness before it becomes a habit. Here are some of the things I have found that help me relax and fall asleep faster. It is also super important that I am using something that is non-habit forming.
My Nighttime Routine for a Better Nights Rest
- ZzzQuil Sleep Aids come in a full range of products that start working in 20 mins. The newest ZzzQuil offering is ZzzQuil PURE Zzzs Melatonin Gummies that are vegan, vegetarian, drug-free* and contain the optimal level of melatonin and a blend of lavender, chamomile, valerian root and lemon balm. I take 2 30 minutes before bed and I am counting sheep with hubs in no time.
- Turn off all electronics at least 30 mins before bed. This helps my brain shut off a little easier. Instead, I listen to music (no podcasts either, bc they make my mind think too much)or read a book.
- Vicks® PURE Zzzs Soothing Aromatherapy Balm applied to my neck and chest area. It is super moisturizing and uses lavender and chamomile to help you relax. Not to mention, if you are a side sleeper you need all the moisture you can get on your chest to help ward off those unsightly wrinkles.
- Drink a nighttime tea. Just like coffee is my comfort in the am, tea is the same at night. It’s relaxing to sip and helps ease my mind.
- Turn the air down. I fall asleep and stay asleep so much longer with air circulation and movement.
- Limiting wine consumption. As much as this pains me to say, wine makes me sleep horribly.
I know this is just a season of life and it too shall pass, right? Maybe when my kids are 30. Just kidding, I honestly feel like once your title turns to mom the chances of you ever not worrying again in life is zero. So since I can’t eliminate it, I need to control it and thanks to ZzzQuil rest is coming much easier. Ask my husband, he doesn’t even think I’m that grumpy anymore.
Leave a Reply